The changes pertain two to areas:
1) Article II - We want to rename this Mission Statement where we more clearly state what we are about and to add a Vision Statement paragraph describing that the board will at least bi-annually develop a working plan of what we need to do (a vision statement) and publish this to the organization as a whole.
2) To help facilitate this we want to formally add to the charter board member list two positions: Publicist and Media Specialist. Their titles and duties along with a couple of edits to current positions are listed in the document.
The strikeouts in the document are those items to be removed - the red type face is the material proposed to be added.
Here is the document:
CHARTER OF THE
JOHN AND HANNAH KNIGHT LIBBY CARTER FAMILY ORGANIZATION
ARTICLE I NAME OF ORGANIZATION
The name of this organization shall be the JOHN AND HANNAH KNIGHT LIBBY CARTER FAMILY.
PURPOSE OF THIS
The mission of the John and Hannah Knight Libby Carter Family is to provide a platform for all the descendants of John and Hannah Knight Libby Carter to be able to communicate with each other, develop stronger inter-generational ties, learn more about their family, and preserve their heritage for future generations.
To more fully accomplish the mission of this organization the officers shall, after being elected, create or rework the organization’s vision statement. This organization’s vision statement shall include details of how the board intends to strengthen family bonds between the descendants of John & Hannah Knight Libby Carter, coordinate research efforts for the ancestry and descendants of John & Hannah Knight Libby Carter, and make available accurate information concerning John & Hannah Knight Libby Carter, their ancestors, and their descendants.
ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
Membership shall be opened to the descendants of John and Hannah Knight Libby Carter their husbands and wives. Membership shall be accepted in written or electronic form. Individuals applying for membership shall provide their basic information such as full name and known ancestry, current address, and a way to contact them via phone, or email.
associate membership (without voting rights) will be extended to others who
descend from our ancestor Richard Cater I but don’t come through John and
membership and associate membership shall have an account with
ARTICLE IV OFFICERS
Officers shall consist of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Webmaster, Family Genealogist
and , Secretary, Publicist and Social Media Specialist. Officers shall be nominated and voted upon by
the members of this organization at the close of the biennial meeting. Their terms shall begin at the close of the
annual meeting and end upon the election of the next annual meeting.
ARTICLE V BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The property, business, and affairs of this organization shall be managed by the Board. The officers elected shall make up the Board of Trustees with the President being the Chairman of the Board. The officers shall meet at least yearly either in person or via phone, instant messaging, or email. The Board shall appoint such ad hoc or standing committees as may be deemed necessary for the conduct of business and other activities of the organization.
ARTICLE VI FINANCE
Membership to this organization shall be free. Financing shall be governed by the Treasurer. All money asked for from the membership shall be through donations. It is suggested that a ten dollar donation be made upon the request for membership and a minimum ten dollar donation be made at each biennial meeting.
ARTICLE VII AMENDMENTS AND VOTING
Amendments to these articles or to the By-Laws shall be submitted to the active membership and will require for acceptance a majority vote of those attending the official meeting open to all the membership. Any matters of organization business submitted to the active membership will require for passage a majority of all votes cast at the official meeting. Members not in attendance shall be able to cast their votes either by mail, or email. Review of the Charter and By-Laws shall be done by the Board of Trustees at least every ten years. Changes shall be voted on by the membership.
BY-LAWS OF THE
JOHN AND HANNAH KNIGHT LIBBY CARTER FAMILY ORGANIZATION
In addition to the meeting open to the membership, special meetings of the Board of Trustees may be called. Adequate notice shall be given prior to the time the meeting is called. All matters shall be determined by a majority vote of those attending either regular or special meetings, or if determined by email, then by a majority of those responding.
Requests for donations shall be established by the Board of Trustees. Donation monies shall be used to finance this organizations website, reunions, and other projects approved by the membership.
The duties of the Officers of the organization shall be:
(1) The President shall preside at all meetings, shall have the authority to call special meetings, shall appoint ad hoc and standing committees as may be needed or approved by the Board, and generally supervise the activities of the organization.
(2) The Vice President shall assist and counsel the President. The Vice President will serve in the absence of the President. If for any reason the latter cannot serve or if the office of President is vacated, the Vice President shall assume the President’s responsibilities with the help of the past president.
(3) The Treasurer shall handle all finances of the organization, keeping careful records of all transactions, issuing proper receipts for all contributions, and making certain that all expenditures are duly authorized and recorded. They will report to the Board annually with an audit of the year’s transactions.
(4) The Webmaster will be responsible for maintaining and updating the
website . The Webmaster shall
also prepare notices and other communications which go to the membership, and
will see that the Board of Trustees and the officers are duly notified of all
(5) The Family Genealogist will be responsible for gathering genealogical data on all
the descendants of John and Hannah Knight Libby Carter and sharing such
data with the members of the organization through the
Carterville.com web site.
(6) The Secretary will be responsible for recording and documenting activities conducted by the organization. The Secretary shall help prepare notices and other communications which go to the membership, and will see that the Board of Trustees and the officers are duly notified of all meetings. The Secretary shall also keep minutes of all meetings and will be responsible for seeing that a mailing list is maintained.
(7) The Publicist will be responsible for maintaining the organization’s web page which will be part of the Carterville.com web site; correspond electronically or otherwise with the membership on a regular basis; promote reunions and other activities of the Association.
(8) The Social Media Specialist will be responsible for developing a social media presence in various mediums (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.) that will reach out especially to our younger members and engage them in the activities of the organization.