Sunday, August 7, 2016

HANNAH KNIGHT LIBBY CARTER - Part 2 - Her Paternal Ancestry Continued

           The last post provided the reader with some short bios of selected ancestors of Hannah on her paternal grandfather's lines.  This time we will switch to the ancestry of her paternal grandmother, Mary Larrabee, the daughter of John Larrabee and Mary Ingersoll.

Hannah Knight Libby's ancestry on her father's side.


Stephen Larrabee, the immiagrant, was evidently a brother of William, of Malden, who was one of the first pioneers of North Yarmouth, Me. The two purchased lands of the Indians before the regular settlement of the town. We have no documentary proof that these were brothers, but there is unquestionable evidence of their kinship. We have no mention of the parentage or place of nativity of Stephen, no record of his marriage, will, or death. That he had a large family the list of his children's names, both in the will of William, of date, Oct. 24, 1692, and in the petition of his son Isaac, dated Mar. 2, 1732, proved.

History Of Durham Maine by Everett S. Stackpole A facsimile of the 1899 edition: published by: New England History Press, Somersworth 1979 - This source recorded the genealogy on the family of Stephen Larrabee from Malden Mass who went to North Yarmouth. His son Thomas b. 1660 lived in Portsmouth N.H and Scarborough Maine where he and his oldest son Antony were both killed by the Indians on 19 April 1723. The Thomas mentioned above as being killed by Indians in 1723 had a son John who married Mary Ingersoll of Kittery.


Col. Charles E. Banks, one of the preeminent English researchers of a hundred years ago resolved the orgin of the Felt family. T HE name of Felt is so rare in England that it was not
until after prolonged search that a clue to it was obtained and this clue came through an unusual form
of spelling- Felce. This form occurs as early as I 530 and the name is almost entirely confined to Bedford shire. It occurs in the following variations: Felshe, Felsse, Fels, Felts, Fylls, Feltes, Felss and Felce alias Phelps. Early records show that persons called Phelps are identical with those called Felts in the same parish. The source of the name and its meaning is obscure. Scattered references to families of this name in Bedfordshire are found in the parishes of Oakley, Stagden, Ampthill, Bedford, Woburn and Luton but the largest group was found in the parish of Leighton
Boudesart, now corrupted into Leighton Buzzard. The parish register of Leighton and the Court Rolls of the Manor of Leighton Buzzard show the existence of this family in that locality as early as I 540 and doubtless they had been there for generations before that date.  George Felce, son of William of Reach, was baptized 28 Feb 1609 in Issealways.One George Felce, (Felch or Felt), s. of Wm., bap. 28. Feb. 1609-10 in Leighton-Buzzard, Bedfordshire, was noted absent at the manorial muster 29 May 1634" [GDMNH  228]. This clue, though it does not constitute proof of origin, is worth further inquiry.   George Felt was admitted an inhabitant of Charlestown in December 1633, and appeared in lists of Charlestown inhabitants dated 9 January 1633/4 and January 1635/6 [ChTR  9, 10, 15]. On 10 February 1634/5 he was one of those agreeing to establish the office of selectman [ChTR  13]. In the North Yarmouth Records is a petition to Gov. Andross, 1688, where George Felt stated that about eighteen years before he had bought a plantation or farm of John Phillips of Boston, at a place called Great Cove, in Casco Bay, containing about two thousand acres, for which he paid sixty pounds, that he had occupied it about three years before the purchase; that after the Indian war, it was withheld from him by Casco people, and he being impoverished could not recover it; that he was then suffering for want, being about eighty-seven years old. In 1727, Moses Felt in a deed to a committee of North Yarmouth of three hundred acres on Broad Cove, recited that his father, George Felt, bought said land of John Phillips of Casco Bay, and afterward again purchased it of the agent of Sir F. Gorges, about the year 1643; that said Felt built a house on this land and lived in it above forty years without molestation until 1684. (Though old his age appears to be overstated in this record.)


Anthony Roe received land grants in Scarboro, where he served as selectman. After 1690 he lived at Portsmouth, and died there soon after 1700. Nothing else is known about him. His daughter, Elizabeth Roe married Thomas Larrabee.("Piscataqua pioneers, 1623-1775; register of members and ancestors...")


          Richard Ingersoll, born 16 March 1587, Edworth, Bedford, England, died 21 July 1644 Salem, Essex, Massachusets, buried 5 January 1645 Salem. He married at St. Swithin’s Church, Sands/Sandy, England, 20 October 1611 or 1616, Agnes/Ann Langley.   Richard and Ann Ingersoll came to Salem in 1629 with Higginson, arriving June 29. A letter from Matthew Craddock, Governor of the company, to Mr. Endicott commends "Richard Inkersall and Richard Haward" who with their families came from Bedfordshire, England.
        In the original list of householders receiving "House lotts graunted by ye town" (1638) Richard Ingersoll is given two acres, also 80 acres on the Cape Ann side. Later, there was "graunted Richard Ingersoll 30 acres of meadow in the greate meadow to be layd out by the towne."
        In 1640 Richard Ingersoll’s family is credited with nine persons and he is given an allotment of one acre.
        The old towne records state that "It is agreed that Rich’d Inkersall shall henceforth have one peny (a tyme to maintain the ferry) for every pson he doeth ferry over the north (ferry) river dureing the towns pleasure."
        He died in Salem in 1644, probably soon after making his will, 21 July 1644

        George (Richard 1 ) born, 1618, iu England; died, 1694, after June 22 (Maine Wills, 9 : 174). He was al- lotted 40 acres of land in Enon (Wenharn), to which was added a grant of 40 acres (29-9-1642). Selling this land he moved in 1646 to Gloucester where he kept an ordinary, and was elected selectman in 1652 (Babson : Histoiw of Glouces- ter). He emigrated to Casco Bay, where he settled at Back Cove as early as June 25, 1657. He there bought 55 acres of land from George Cleaves, paying 55 shillings, with an annual tribute of one shilling and one day's work. He became prominent, and wasii petitioner to the General Court in 1660. Chosen juryman in 1666 and 1668, he was sent the latter year to York, to meet the commission engaged under the direction of the General Court in re- establishing the disputed jurisdiction of Massachusetts. He had on July 4, 1668, as selectman of and on the part of Falmouth (now Portland) forwarded a petition on the situation to the General Court. The commission, headed by Major General Leverett, was empowered to appoint officials, civil and military. George Ingersoll, erroneously called Ingerfield in the report, was commissioned lieuten- ant and placed in command of the militia at Falmouth. He was most active during the Indian troubles, but the King Philip war proved disastrous to him. One of his sons was killed in October, 1675, at the opening of this war in Maine, his plantation was attacked, and his house and property were destroyed. Thirty-four persons were killed or made captive in or near Falmouth, and the re- maining inhabitants withdrew for safety to Andrew island. Ingersoll was in the field until the beginning of December, when he decided to return to Salem with the families of himself and sons. His departure was criticised, but Wil- liamson in his History of Maine says : " Ingersoll's mili- tary talents procured his promotion to the command of the town militia, an office he filled with much repute through the first (1675) Indian war." Casting in his lot again with Falmouth in 1680, Inger- soll renewed his public activities. He was chosen deputy to the Provincial Assembly of Maine from Falmouth in 1683 and 1685. lie was designated by the General Court AND SOME OF HIS DESCENDANTS. 7 as one of the commissioners to lay out a new town-site of 1,000 acres and make allotments thereof. At the threat- ening Indian disturbances of 1689, he was called to serve on the council of war at Falmouth. Doubtless foreseeing the great dangers of his exposed plantation at Stroudwater, and in view of his age (72), he withdrew to Salem and thus escaped the vicissitudes of the second destruction of Falmouth the following year. He married about 1642, Elizabeth , who died before him.

        John {George 2 , Richard l), born in Salem in 1645 ; died in Kittery, 1716. In his will of Sept. 27, 1714, proved April 4, 1716, he names his wife and all his children except a daughter, deceased, who had married a Brown (Maine Wills, 1870). He prospered at Falmouth, Me. where he bought, May 1, 1675, from George Munjoy a large tract of land. Driven from Falmouth by Indians in 1675, he sought refuge, with his father and brother, in Salem, where 11-11-1675, the town admitted him as inhabitants during the time of the Indian wars, "being driven from their habitations." He moved to Kittery in 1676, where his wife lived, but in 1680 was again in Falmouth, where he received a house-lot and 60 acres of land at Ft. Loyal on Sept. 23. The Massachusetts grant of land and mill privileges, confirmed Oct. 13, 1680, was perfected in 1682, and from 1684 was worked by a company. John's occupancy of his farm at the Stroudwater (now Westbrook) was interrupted by the second Indian war, when he sought refuge at Kittery, where he was a carpenter. He also owned land in Kittery, Berwick and Scarboro. He married Deborah Gunnison, daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Gunnison, of Boston, 1634, and Kittery, 1651. and 1657. Deborah was baptised at Boston "about 7 days old", July 25, 1642; she died after July 8, 1728.

        John {John 3, George 2 , Richard 1), was born in Kittery about 1680. On Sept. 17, 1722, he was assigned with his family to live in the garrisoned house of Ebenezer More. He married at York, about 1700 (Maine Hist, and Gen. Recorder, 4 : 293) Deborah, daughter of John and Deborah Phoenix of Kittery.


Hugh Gunnison was first mentioned in Boston documents as a servant to Richard Bellingham, who later become three-time governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Governor Bellingham is a character in Hawthorne's THE SCARLET LETTER, as is his sister, Anne Hibbins, who was hanged as a witch in 1656.)
        Bellingham arrived in America in 1634, so it's possible that Gunnison,supposedly of Swedish descent, was on the ship with him. (Also possible he may have come ahead, or became a servant after arriving in Boston. Another source says he arrived in Piscataqua Harbor before 1631, first settled in Dover Neck, New Hampshire, and was in Boston by 1634.)
        Records show that he was admitted to the church Jan 22, 1633, and became a freeman on May 25, 1636. In November of 1637, along with 57 others "of the best citizens of Boston", he was disarmed for the Hutchinson Heresy. In 1642, he opened an "Ordinary with a Cooke's Shop." This became a brewhouse and a tavern in Boston called the King's Arms.
        In 1651, Gunnison sold the tavern in Boston and moved to Kittery, Maine. His wife Elizabeth (who is a principal in the family tree) had died in 1646, and he had remarried, so his new wife accompanied him to Maine. In 1652, he was a Town Commissioner and a licensed Innholder in Kittery. In 1653 he served as Judge of Common Please and a Representative to the General Court for Kittery.
Source: Pope, Charles Henry, THE PIONEERS OF MASSACHUSETTS (1620-1650), 1900 and Gunnison, George, A GENEALOGY OF THE DESCENDANTS OF HUGH GUNNISON, 1880.


        The origin of John Fennick/Fennicke/Phoenix/Phenix has not yet been discovered, but he probably was born in about 1640. It has been suggested that likely he came to New England from Scotland. The first mention of his name in Kittery, Maine is in 1664 when he purchased, from John Withers, 12 acres "in Spruce Cricke Contayning twelve joyning to anecke of land called pine poynt," In the deed, his name is spelled John ffennicke. Other spelling variations of his name are used in deeds for subsequent purchases and sales of land, but generally he signed his name as Fennick. In several of these deeds he is described as being a mariner and he probably owned a vessel used for lumbering or fishing. in a deed of gift dated 14 Jan 1710/1711 from John Fennicke an joined by his wife, for payment of 8 pounds and " but more Especially in Consideration of ye Love good will & Natural Affection which I have & do bare towards ye sd Hezekiah Elwell my Son in Law & my daughter Elizabeth his wife," he conveyed to them a grant of 12 acres of land. The last record known for him is a deed tht he executed on 16 May 1721. Some genealogists suggest that he probably died in about 1728.

No comments:

Post a Comment